Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Different Strokes

Today I helped an attractive, early 40's couple from New York. They were both nice to me, but had that distinct air about them. She had a slight edge of superiority and that was almost waiting for you to slip up, and he was uber-fast and aggressive - definitely New Yorkers.

As they were looking around the store, they asked about the easiest way to catch a cab locally. Not satisfied with my answer that a cab hangout was about a block away, the man asked if I had a number he could call. Luckily, I did. (Like I said, they were nice to me, but I'm glad I was able to answer all of their questions and needs quickly and correctly. I wasn't looking to catch flack.) He went outside to call the car as I rang up her purchases. While chatting, I mentioned that I used to live in their city.

Right around this time, the man started yelling into his phone at the cab company. I'm not sure what it was about, or how you could possibly get into a shouting match with a car company that you have never used within the space of two minutes, but there were definitely a plethora of expletives being thrown around.

Back inside...

"So why did you leave New York?" she asked me.

It took a great deal of restraint to not point outside and utter these two words - "That's why." Instead I mumbled my stock response about wanting to work directly for a winery, blah blah blah.

But really, that's why. As much as I sometimes love the unabashed aggression and honesty of New Yorkers, for me the more laid back West Coast pace is a much better fit. I mean, who wants to have an aneurysm at the age of fifty anyway?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Pink of Perfection said...

I hear you. The intensity of New York (and certain New Yorkers like this) is a lot to bear, and truly, this is one of the only times of year I fall in love with it when the trees are full of blossoms. But life just about anywhere else seems like it would be a lot more chillaxed.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Diane said...

Totally! Why do you think I live at the beach now?! Sure it's a teeny little city and doesn't have all the great things a big one would have sometimes, but there's something to be said for the chill nice air of happy people who left the rat races for the good life...

Ahh...
:)

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home