Friday, June 26, 2009

Conversation with a stranger

Last night I found myself chatting with a fellow, and the conversation took an interesting turn. He had asked me a dreaded question these days - "What do you do?" So I tried to give the abbreviated version. My last real company went out of business and I've kinda been bouncing around ever since, recently quitting a very miserable job and working on a few part time things.

Him: "So how do you spend your days?"

Me: "Well, I'm doing some part time work with this start up website, so this week I've been spending a few hours a day working on that, and then I've pretty much been cooking and reading the rest of the day. And I have to tell you, it's been awesome."

And I couldn't help but break into a genuine grin.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah! I'm not going to lie - spending my days like that makes me really happy."

"You know, I don't really know you, but let me tell you something. When looking for your next job, you should remember that statement. That you are genuinely happy with how you are spending your time right now, and try to work like that."

Needless to say, I liked this conversation.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Vanessa Fernando said...

What a nice confirmation :) It's always lovely to receive affirmation from strangers, instead of the standard judgemental response.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Erin said...

Totally! It sometimes amazes me the rude things that people will say to you. Sure is nice to be amazed the OTHER way for a change. :)

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home