Sunday, June 14, 2009

Reclaiming my apartment

Breaking up with someone is weird. For me, the shock subsided quickly as a great group of friends swept in and kept me entertained and alcohol-lubricated for the first week or so. Yes, in the two weeks since my romance ended, there have been a few moments of odd re-adjustment - like figuring out this weekend that you actually have to make plans on Saturday, and just plugging my phone in at night rather than keeping it on my nightstand to be able to receive the good night phone call - but for the most part, venturing back into the single world has been ok.

I'm actually excited about dating again. Flirting and meeting people is fun. It's nice to wake up in my own apartment every morning, and stumble into the kitchen for my own coffee routine, rather than scrambling into yesterdays clothes and making the drive home before your day even starts. And it's exciting knowing that I can now really dig into finding the right person, rather than convincing myself that the person I was with was.

But the best thing, by far, has been reclaiming my apartment. Really getting to spend a lot of time in my charming little attic studio with the gorgeous views. Buying flowers every week, because I'll be here to enjoy them. Throwing out the extra toothbrush, the gourmet S'mores set (I hate marshmellows), and ugly candle holders that were all here because of the wrong person. As much as I did enjoy stocking a few of his favorites in my refrigerator, now it's just as satisfying to have it be all mine again. I can use my white noise machine every night when I go to sleep now, because there's no one here that hates it.

Because I really do love my apartment, and now I get to soak it up every day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Hungry Dog said...

Sorry to hear about the breakup...but glad you are plunging back into the dating world..it can be fun. And having your apt. to yourself is always good.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Erin said...

Thanks - I am looking forward to meeting some new people. So if you have any single, foodie guy friends, keep me in mind! ;)

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home