Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My own devices

Everyone has food that they knee-jerk to when they are on their own for dinner. For some, it's just a bowl of cereal or Lean Cuisine. Others have their favorite take out place. Someone recently told me that when left to their own devices, they almost always end up eating "melty, cheesy things".

For me, it's one thing - pasta. I can't help it, and I try to break it up a little bit, but whenever I'm in charge of myself for dinner, I almost always end up making some incarnation of pasta. Angel hair with whatever veggies I've got on hand and lots of cheese... Cous cous with chopped chicken and herbs... Shit, when I'm really feeling cheap and want to revert to being a kid, I make myself Hamburger Helper, and then eat on the leftovers for the rest of the week. No matter what I do, I cannot seem to wean myself off of my pasta addiction.

Last night it was leftover slow roasted tomatoes with angel hair pasta, olive oil, feta cheese and lots of fresh pepper. I chopped up the tomatoes and the sweet juice that oozed out blended with the olive oil to create a thin and yummy sauce that totally coated the pasta. That, combined with the salty, tangy feta was awesome. And I have another portion leftover.

So that's me. For better or for worse (says my waistline) I just can't stop eating pasta. How about you? When totally left to your own devices, what do you usually end up eating?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home