Sunday, May 20, 2007

Back in the game

I've pretty much been sleepwalking through the last week, so when I got this text yesterday afternoon, I couldn't resist the opportunity to dive into something... anything -

Can you pick up a hosting shift at Kitchen 64 tonight? The owner is desparate!

Kitchen 64 is the newest venture for a married couple who have established themselves as Richmond restaurant royalty. A good friend of mine has worked for them on and off for a few years, and I have met them a couple of times. I was intrigued at the plea. It had been years since I had picked up a shift in a restaurant, and I'd never technically hosted before, but I knew that these few hours of working could be just the thing to get my mind off of everything and give me much needed burst of energy and self-confidence.

I'll do it, but in all honesty, they might want to use me as a last resort! It's been a loooong time since I've worked in a restaurant.

Don't be ridiculous, you'll be great. Dress cute. See you at 6!

At 5:45 I pulled into the parking lot, dressed in my favorite kelly green chinos and a sexy black v-neck, ready to hustle and have some fun.

Four blurry hours later, I sank into one of the bar stools and took a gulp of wine. My feet and back were sore, but I felt like I had worked hard and done well. Remained calm in the face of people who had been waiting for tables for sometimes an hour, kept the peace between hungry customers and busy waitstaff, and smiled through most of it.

It was fun being back in the game and good to know that I've still got it, but it's safe to say that I'm definitely glad to be just a visitor this time, not a full on contender.

Now onto searching for the next distraction...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home