Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Venturing out

"Hey! Jess and I are going to (bleep), why don't you guys meet us out?" Thinking we had an original idea, we had decided to go out for a few drinks on Sunday night. It was to be my first real night out in a while, and I felt ready.

We walked into the packed bar, and immediately I felt myself closing off. I could tell immediately that this was not the scene that I was in the mood for. It's ok, I thought, I'll just kinda hang back and be reserved tonight. A few minutes later, our good friend and a buddy of his from college, who I had always heard a lot about but had never met, joined us. We grabbed a booth and sat down, generally having a good time.

The buddy's phone rang and he excused himself to answer it. After he'd been gone for a while, we asked our friend what was up.

"Oh, he's talking to his girlfriend who lives down in Florida. She doesn't know he's even here right now, so he's making up a story. Apparently she thinks I'm a bad influence. Ha ha."

Great. Just what I needed - to bear witness to a dude who is lying to his girlfriend.

Forty-five minutes later, he rejoined us. Someone else had taken his seat on the other side of the booth, so he shoved in next to me. And then it began.

Flirting. Intense eye contact. Questions about my job. Buying me drinks. The occasional hand on my leg. Me wanting to puke. Because the thing is, he was cute and funny. If he didn't have a girlfriend, I'd be totally into him. But I was absolutely dying inside knowing that I was being hit on by a guy who had a girlfriend.

I had to escape. Waiting in the bathroom line, my friend came up to me.

"So yeah, what do you think of my buddy? Great guy, huh?" Scarily enough, he was being genuine.

"Um, sure. Look, to be honest, he's making me really uncomfortable. He's completely hitting on me, and I know he has a girlfriend," I said, with a clear hint of sadness in my voice.

"Oh yeah. That's kinda how he is. I've known him forever."

"What, basically cheating on his girlfriend and just lining up his next conquest?"

"Yeah," with a laugh, "great guy though! Known him forever."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home