Monday, December 10, 2007

Bright v. Graceful

Not a moment after my dinner companion excused himself, the elderly gay gentleman at the table next to us addressed me. The small tables were squeezed close together, so it was easy for us to converse.

"Excuse me miss, are you in the process of getting your PhD?"

"Um... no. Why do you ask?"

"Oh, I don't know. It's just that you seem very bright."

"Well, thank you!"

I settled down further in my chair, pleased with the random comment (compliment?).

A few minutes later we were outside, and I relayed the story while putting a pack of gum pack into my beaded clutch - which I promptly dropped onto the ground, contents spilling all over the sidewalk.

"Oops," I laughed as I nervously scrambled around for my $20, lip gloss, and hair tie, recognizing the irony of the accident to myself.

I guess bright and graceful aren't the same thing. That's ok, though. I'll take bright any day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home