Saturday, January 05, 2008

Delicious Reading: The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry

Elizabeth Gilbert says it best in her quote on the back cover of The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry - "I can never get enough of true stories about people who stop in the middle of their life's journey to ask, 'What do I really want?' and then have the guts to actually go get it."

I couldn't agree more. I can't stop reading memoirs right now. Kathleen Flinn was in her mid-thirties when she realized her dream of completing a culinary degree at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris. Her story of the year she spent living there is fun to read and inspiring. Some of the stories told have a poignant meaning, and some are merely to relate a tale. At first I found this a bit confusing, and found myself wondering what the point of that page and a half was, but then I just let it go and enjoyed the slices of life. The best part of the book is definitely the last few chapters when she is completing the journey. I found myself tensing up at just the right parts and almost crying with relief along with her when it was all over. The book is peppered with recipies, several of which were dog-ear worthy, and the characters that she encounters at the famous school were entertaining and memorable.

Definitely worth reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home