Saturday, November 19, 2005

Home sweet home

"Erin, are your pajamas folded up on your bed?"

Three of my friends asked me that separately last night. Oops. When I got home from work I had hurriedly straightened up my apartment. Instead of throwing my pajamas behind my pillows as usual, for some reason I had absentmindedly chosen to fold them neatly on the bed. My friends thought it was cute.

My goal has always been to have a home that is a haven, not only for me but for the people that I love. A place where there is always a glass of wine or beer waiting, cookies in the oven, and an ear to listen or shoulder to cry on.

I think I've done it.

Last night friends were in and out of my place, some for dinner, some for drinks, some for socialization after a long day, some for comfort after an exciting date. Everyone now knows each other in a comfortable way now, and I think they are coming to rely on the fact that every Friday night they can come over and unwind from the week, fill up with good food and drink, socialize with fun people, and just be themselves.

For me it was great. I felt like I had worked hard to create this atmosphere in my life, and it is every bit as satisfying as I had hoped it would be. I hope that this is a tradtion that I continue to live out in my life, right now with friends, and later with my husband and my chidren's friends. That may be a long way off, but I know that it is in my horizon. There is no way I could give up how good it feels to have a home like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home