Saturday, July 14, 2007

Rees Reviews: Straight Up and Dirty

On my nightstand right now is Stephanie Klein's first book, Straight Up and Dirty. She is another in the line of blog mistress-turned book deal clutching author. As hard as I tried, I could never really get into her blog. It is a bit too stream-of-consciousness for me, and I had a hard time following the posts. However, being such a blog fan, whenever I find out that one of my favorite writers pens a novel, I usually add it dutifully to my Wishlist.

I started her book this week, and have to say that so far I am blown away. She is deep and insightful as she recounts her dating mis- and adventures, making such observations as "being esteemed and having self-esteem are not the same thing" when talking about people (herself included) who search out relationships desperately. Her refusal to budge from her standards on the kind of man she wants and how she should be treated is inspiring, not to mention incredibly entertaining to read about.

Light enough to read on the beach, but heavy enough to really make you think - I'll conclude by quoting Travis Birkenstock:

"Two very enthusiastic thumbs up. Fine holiday fun."

*PS - on a completely random note, isn't there something delicious about wearing your laciest panties when you know no one will appreciate them but you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home