Thursday, October 27, 2005

She shoe shamed me

Yesterday I talked to a good friend for the first time in a few months. She is recently engaged, and she and her fiance moved to Charlotte a few months ago. We had a perfectly pleasant conversation about the state of our lives... that is until she asked the dreaded question:

"So, what about men in your life?"

"Uh... nothing really, right now."

Light laughter, "You're so vague!"

"Uh... well, I'm not dating anyone right now, what do you want me to say?" Then I launch into some ramblings about being too busy right now anyway, etc, etc, etc.

BITCH.

Why does someone, a good friend, nonetheless, have to take a perfectly pleasant conversation and then point out the obvious? OK, I'm not dating anyone right now. What is wrong with that? Why does she have to act all superior?

(Especially a girl who had to practically BEG her fiance to propose to her. But when she was crying to me about that, did I judge? NO. I just listened. Fuck, maybe I should have taken the opportunity to give her a big dose of condescention.)

I guess the real question is, is she really being bitchy, or am I being uber-defensive? But you know what, no, I don't think I am. I have PLENTY of friends who are in couples and don't make me feel like a loser for being single.

Now I'm left with a completely bad taste in my mouth about talking to her again, unless I magically produce a boyfriend. I think it's best to stick to friends who love me as I am and don't wear their rings as a status symbol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home