Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Potentially Traumatic Pants Disorder

Ok, so over the last few months I've gained some weight. Nothing too bad, maybe like 5-10 pounds. Could be several reasons why, but frankly I blame it on these two:


  1. For the first time in my life, I'm really settling down into an office job. 8:30-5:30, sitting at my desk. In front of a computer. Only changing when I force myself to get up and move around, so as not to actually fuse into my chair. Plus, in this rich culture of Corporate America, higher ups are constantly "treating" and "rewarding" you with food. It's everywhere! Free pizza for lunch, games at team meetings where we get prizes of not one candy bar, but an entire damn bag of Halloween sized candy. It's completely unneccessary and gross. These are not the kind of things I would subject myself to on a daily basis. I'm not a snacker by nature, but when snacks are constantly staring me in the face, there is only so much I can refuse - I'm only human.
  2. I think my body is finally starting to really change. Not drastically, but I may just be hitting the late 20's hump where it's not quite as easy to stay skinny. (I consider myself lucky that I made it this long.)
I'm not here to whine about getting fat or anything - I actually kinda like the look of it. It makes me feel womanly and more mature. But what frustrates me is this: there are some clothes that I can't fit into anymore.

I've got a few pairs of pants that do not fit me anymore, and this pisses off my highly developed frugal side. Tonight I decided would be the ultimate test of just how far out of control this "weight gain" had become: the off-white tuxedo pants.

Last year I bought a gorgeous pair of off-white tuxedo pants. Love them, but only wore them once. They will be just perfect for my company's annual holiday party. The thought of not being able to fit into them, and therefore having splurged on a pair of pants to only wear once, infuriates me. I decided that tonight I would try them on and see once and for all what my options were: still wear them (fingers crossed!), have them let out (can that even be done?), get a girdle on underneath them that wouldn't be seen (they are white after all), or whether I would just have to give up on them all together and start praying now that one day I would get mono and go back to my sometimes-size-4 self.

Coming off the hanger, the fabric was even softer than I remembered. Breath held, stomach sucked, I stepped in. Zipper comes up... seems to be working. One button in place - Oh My God - I'm home free!

They fit!

Well, they got on at least. I inspected myself in the mirror and assessed (ha ha) how they felt. Little bit more snug around the waist than I remember, but over all, not terrible. Of course I will have to enlist a completely honest friend to tell me whether they really do look ok, or if they are bordering on trashy-Krystal-with-a-K-tight. But that is all in due time. The good news for now is that for all intents and purposes, they still fit.

I can totally handle my body changing. I can totally handle my transformation into a corporate cog. As long as my body can totally handle my off-white tuxedo pants.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home