Thursday, October 11, 2007

Countdown to the Dinner Party: Three Days; Securing the Sixth

Last week:

"So, I'm having a dinner party for my Richmond co-workers. I need a sixth. Wanna come?"

(We've been friends for years, he works at the same wine store that I used to, so therefore will enjoy the great wine and food, and is easily social and talkative to other people. Unfortunately, he is also a total dude.)

"Well, I might be going to Boston that weekend to catch the Sox. Sounds like fun, though."

"Um... ok, well let me know."

Monday:

"So, what's the deal with Boston?"

"I'm still working on it."

"What does that mean?"

"You know me, I do everything last minute. I'm a last minute kinda guy."

"Ummm... yeah. Ok, look, I need to know whether or not you can come on Saturday. You're my first choice, but if you can't come, I need to be able to invite someone else."

"Another dude?"

"No. Just a sixth person. To even it out."

"Yeah, but it's all couples. You need another dude."

Huff and puff.

"Fine. Let me know if you can come so that I can find another dude to fill you place."

"Give me until Wednesday."

"Fine."

Wednesday:

"Ummm... yeah. Boston is off."

(In my head...

"Surprise, surprise.")

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

"So you're in for Saturday?"

"Sure, sounds like fun."

Sigh.

"I know. It will be. Can you bring some cheese?"

"Cheese?"

Exasperated sigh.

"Yes! You know, for an appetizer? I'm asking everyone to bring an app and some wine."

"Yeah, but all of the others are couples. Don't you and I count as a couple?"

"Um... no. We are not a couple. You know that. You are simply the sixth guest to round this thing out."

"I know, I know. Yeah, I can bring some cheese."

"Thank you."

"I'm not really sure what to expect with this thing, though. I mean, what is it going to be like?"

"What do you mean? It's dinner and wine. It's going to be awesome."

"Yeah. It'll be cool."

"Thank you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home